- To watch Hotstar on Roku TV, select Streaming Channels > Search Channels > search Hotstar > select the app > Add Channel > Go to Channel.
Hotstar is one of the top streaming services that will let users stream various Indian live TV channels, TV shows, and movies. It features the best TV shows and blockbuster movies in 8 different languages like Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Marathi, Bengali, Punjabi, Kannada, and Malayalam. It is the most used service as it provides 200 days of live cricket with pre and post-match analysis, commentary feed, etc. The service is available in India, the USA, Singapore, and Canada. Hostar is officially available on the Roku Channel Store for Roku. You can install the Hotstar app and stream the content. Hotstar also features various free content too. You shall get Hotstar on Roku with a premium subscription that costs $49.99/month.
Important Update: Hotstar isn’t available in the US. However, the users can stream live cricket and other Indian entertainment with The Disney Bundle, which includes Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN. It has joined with Disney+ and is available as Disney+ Hotstar in India.
Upon installing the Hotstar app, you will get access to the below features.
- You shall watch exclusive Hotstar specials of India’s best filmmakers.
- It brings exclusive and live news from the leading Indian news channels in seven Indian languages.
- Hotstar has a curated movie library, and you will find almost anything from classic hits to the latest titles.
- It provides regional and expert commentary in six languages.
How to Install Hotstar on Roku
The steps below will help you out on how to add Hotstar on Roku lineups of streaming devices.
(1) Connect your Roku streaming device to your TV.
(2) From the Roku home screen, navigate to the Roku Channel Store by clicking on the Streaming Channels option.
(3) Choose the Search Channels option on the Roku Channel Store.
(4) Type Hotstar on the provided search field.
(5) Now, select the Hotstar app from the search results.
(6) Click the Add Channel button to install the Hotstar app.
(7) Then, tap on the Go to Channel button to launch the Hotstar app on your Roku device.
(8) Now, click on the My Account option.
(9) An activation code will appear on the screen.
(10) Go to the Hotstar activation website (https://www.hotstar.com/activate) and log in with your account.
(11) Enter the Hotstar activation code and click Continue.
(12) On successful verification, the channel on your TV will refresh and start loading the contents.
(13) Stream your favorite live TV from the Hotstar Roku app.
How to Watch Hotstar on Roku Via Screen Mirroring
If you don’t want to add Hotstar on your Roku TV, then you shall screen mirror the same from your smartphone or PC. It is an efficient option to save some device space.
Screen Mirror Hotstar to Roku from Android
Roku TV supports screen mirroring, and you should enable it from Settings to proceed.
- To enable screen mirroring, go to Roku Settings >> System >> Screen Mirroring >> Screen Mirroring Mode >> Prompt or Allow.
- Download and install the Hotstar app on your Android smartphone from the Google Play Store.
(1) Firstly, connect your Roku to WIFI and use the same connection on your Android phone.
(2) Launch and log in to Hotstar with the necessary credentials.
(3) Open the Notification panel and click the Screen Cast or Cast option.
(4) Allow Android to recognize devices using the same network. From the result, select your Roku device.
(5) When the connection gets established, you shall choose any title to stream on your handheld and watch the same on your Roku TV.
Screen Mirror Hotstar to Roku from PC
Since Hotstar is accessible from the web, you shall screen mirror its titles to your Roku TV from your PC.
(1) Connect your PC and Roku TV to the same WIFI.
(2) Launch the Chrome browser on your PC and visit the Hotstar website.
(3) Click the Sign in button to log in to your account.
(4) Now, browse or search for any title to play on the PC.
(5) With that, right-click on the space on your screen.
(6) Select the Cast option on the following pop-up.
(7) Under the Sources drop-down, select the Cast tab and choose your Roku TV.
(8) With this, you will find your PC screen on your Roku TV.
Screen Mirror Hotstar to Roku TV from iOS
Like Android, you can screen mirror Hotstar from iPhone or iPad to Roku Express or Stick. For this to work, you should enable AirPlay and Homekit in the Settings.
- On Roku TV, select Settings > choose Apple AirPlay and HomeKit > tap on the toggle to turn it On.
- Download and install the Hotstar app on your iPhone or iPad from the Apple App Store.
(1) Connect Roku and iOS devices to the same WIFI.
(2) Launch the Disney Plus Hotstar app on your Roku and log in to your account with the necessary details.
(3) Select any movie, show, or live TV event to play on your iPhone or iPad.
(4) Now, open the Control Center on your iOS and click on the Screen Mirroring option.
(5) With that, you shall choose your Roku TV to which you want to screen mirror Hotstar.
(6) When the connection gets established, you shall start streaming the title on your Roku TV.
Hotstar Not Working on Roku: Best Fixes
Sometimes, the Hotstar app may not be working on your streaming device. It may be due to poor internet, outdated app or device firmware, server issues, geo-restrictions, etc. It can be fixed with the following troubleshooting techniques.
- Make sure that the Hotstar app is up-to-date. If not, update the app.
- Keep your Roku TV connected to a strong internet. Make sure to use the same on the casting device.
- Ensure that the Roku firmware is updated. Check our guide on how to check and update Roku firmware to its latest version.
- Find if Hotstar servers are working and there is no service outage.
- Restart your Roku device to fix minor issues.
- Make sure that the device has got enough space, if not, clear the Roku caches.
- If none of the above methods helps, reset your Roku streaming device to its factory defaults.
These are the different ways in which you can add and stream Hotstar shows on your Roku TV. It is a must-to-use app to watch the best of Indian entertainment. Also, you can stay up-to-date with the live cricket scores and match highlights.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can install Hotstar on Roku from the Roku Channel Store.
Hotstar recently joined hands with Disney +. You can access the Disney + contents with the Disney + Hotstar app, available only in India.
You can use a VPN on Roku to watch Hotstar from the USA.