PlayStation is the widely preferred popular gaming console used by many peoples worldwide. The users were allowed to change the email on PlayStation account. Unfortunately, it wasn’t so easy to change the PlayStation Account name or Online ID before April 2019. But after 2019, Sony allows PlayStation users to change their PSN name once for free. Sony ensured that changing your name on the PlayStation would not affect your games. You can change your name many times, but you will need to pay to change the name on your PlayStation the second time. It will cost $4.99 if you have a PlayStation Plus membership, or it will cost $9.99 for all other users.
Important Note: If you are using PS3, PS Vita, PS/TV games and apps, child account, there is no way possible to change the online ID.
You can change your PlayStation name by using two methods:
- Using the Web Browser
- From PlayStation Console
How to Change the PlayStation Name using the Web Browser
Quick Guide: Open Browser >> visit PlayStation Network Sign in page >> enter Log in details >> click on PNS Profile >> select Online ID >> click Edit >> enter new name >> select Continue >> OK.
(1) Open any Browser on your device and search for PlayStation Sign in.
(2) Visit the official website and and enter the PlayStation Sign-in details to log in to your account.
(3) After signing in, you will get access to the PSN account.
(4) Select the PNS Profile option, which is on the left side.
(5) Select the Online ID and click on Edit to change your PlayStation account name.
FYI: PlayStation allows the users to display the old username on the profile for 30 days. Make sure to select the necessary option while changing the name.
(6) It will display the Important Information pop-up that explains the consequences of changing the PSN. PlayStation allows the user to reclaim the old username.
(7) After confirming the Important Information, click on Continue and edit your username or Online ID on your PlayStation and click on OK to change your name.
How to Change the PlayStation Network Name on PS4
Quick Guide: Turn On your PS4 >> go to Settings >> select Account Management >> click on Account Information >> highlight Profile >> click Online ID >> change the Name >> click Continue >> select OK.
(1) Turn ON your PS4 and go to the main dashboard
(2) Select the Settings option in it.
(3) Under the settings option, select Account Management.
(4) Select the option Account Information.
(5) And click on the Profile option, which is available there.
(6) Now, click on the Online ID to change your account name.
(7) Read the information provided on the Important Information pop-up for a better understanding.
(8) Click on Continue and edit your username or Online ID on your PS4and click on OK to change your name.
How to Change PSN Name on PS5
Quick Guide: Turn On your PS5 >> navigate to Settings >> choose Users and Account >> select Accounts >> click on Profile >> Continue >> OK.
(1) Turn ON your PS5 and go to the main dashboard
(2) Select the Settings option in it.
(3) Click on the Users and Account option in it.
(4) Under that, select the Accounts option from the left pane.
(5) Now, click on the Profile option to change your user name or Online ID.
(6) On the Important Information pop-up window, click on Continue.
(7) Now, edit your Username or Online ID on your PlayStation and click on OK to change your name.
Like changing Xbox Gamertag, the process of changing the name of the PlayStation Network is no more permanent and can be done as often as the user need. However, it is important to choose the name wisely if you don’t want to get charged for changing the name from the second time onwards. The new name will be reflected on your account anytime in a week.
Sony allows PlayStation users to change their PSN name for free for the first time. However, from the second time, the users will be charged. The cost will be $4.99 for the PlayStation plus subscriber, and if you are not a PlayStation Plus subscriber, it will cost you around $9.99.
To restart the PlayStation4,
1. Press and hold the PS button on your controller, then select Power.
2. You can choose to Turn Off PS4 or Restart PS4.
To restart the PlayStation5,
1. Press and hold the Power button of your PlayStation console for 3 seconds until it beeps twice.
2. Hold the PS button on your controller to bring up the quick menu, then select Restart.
Your new ID will be reserved temporarily for 24 hours. You can claim the ID permanently within a specific period.
The process of changing the PSN name is free for the first time if you follow any of the above methods.
You cannot change the PSN name on PS4 free for the second time.
You cannot change the PSN name of the PlayStation 3 gaming console.