Xbox is a gaming console developed and owned by Microsoft. You can connect the console to your television or other display media. It provides realistic graphics for the games to experience the new generation of games and entertainment. Since Xbox Live requires an email for varied communications, it is essential to use a valid email. Just like changing email on a PlayStation account, you can change the Xbox email address linked with your Xbox account for any reason. Upon changing or updating with a new email, you will not miss out on any important messages.
Things to Remember Before Changing Email in Microsoft Account
- Removing the email address from the Microsoft domain (For example, Outlook.com, Live.com, or Hotmail.com) will delete your account permanently.
- The removed account can’t be further used to send or receive emails. It cannot be used on other accounts later.
- Microsoft doesn’t recycle the email address, so the account removed will be lost forever and can’t be retrieved in the future.
- Microsoft does not allow repeated use of any email addresses you added or created, even after the deletion of the address in the account.
- The email address and phone number already used in another account as an alias cannot be used again in the Microsoft account.
How to Change/Remove an Xbox Email from Account
To change the email address on Xbox, you have to remove the existing alias in the Microsoft account. So that you can add a new email address to the account. Follow the below steps to change/remove the email in your Microsoft account,
1). Visit the Microsoft Account Page, Sign in to your Microsoft account using the existing email address and password and click Next.
2) Navigate to click on the Your info link, which is at the top of the page.
3) Under the Account Info section, click on the Edit account info link available on the right side.
4) With that, Manage how you sign in to Microsoft page appears. Click on Add Email Address under the Account aliases section.
5) Go ahead to type in the new email address you want to use with Xbox and click on Add alias.
6) You should now follow the on-screen instructions to verify the new email address.
7) Select Make primary to make it primary alias. So that you can use this primary email address to send and receive emails, access your Microsoft account information, etc.
8) Now, you shall select the Remove option for the old email that you longer prefer using.
9) Click Confirm to remove the email from your Xbox account.
How to Change Other Alias in Microsoft Account
Besides email, Xbox users can change their phone numbers and sign-in preferences of the Microsoft Account linked to Xbox One.
Changing Phone number
If you want to change your phone number instead of your email address, follow the below steps.
- Click Add phone number.
- Enter the phone number that you want to change, and click Next.
- A text message will be sent to you to the entered phone number for verification.
- Complete the verification process by entering the code received in the text message.
- Click Next to complete the verification process.
Changing Sign-in Preferences
You can select any of the listed email addresses or phone numbers in the account to sign in. To make it more different for someone to break into your account and make your account more secure, turn off sign preferences by clicking on the Change sign-in preferences option.
That’s how to change the email on Xbox. Microsoft services take up to 48 hours for the implementation of the email change process in a Microsoft account. If you lost the Xbox sign-in email or forgot the password, you cannot change the email address. So, you should find the email address you used to sign up for an Xbox account. It can be found if you have used an alternative email as an alias. Just look at the emails on the alternate email, and you might find the primary email associated with Xbox. Apart from changing email, you can even change Xbox Gamertag.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will not lose the data by simply changing the email address on your Xbox account. But, you will lose data if you delete the existing email and create a new one. Also, deleting an Xbox account and using the old email to create a new account makes you lose the data.
No, it is not possible to transfer an Xbox account to a different Microsoft account.
You cannot merge/combine two Microsoft accounts, but if you have multiple accounts, you can share your Xbox Live Gold subscription and content on your Xbox One by connecting and using them in one account. To do it, make sure that all your accounts are on the same Xbox console, and make that console your home Xbox.
Yes. It can be done from the Microsoft Accounts page.
The above steps are all that you need to follow to change the email on Xbox Series X