PlayStation 4, aka DualShock 4, is one of the coolest platforms to play games. Paring the Play Station 4 controller is one of the initial steps to be followed. But if you are new, you may feel a bit behind when it comes to its features and functions. For example, you might not know how to pair the PlayStation 4 Controller to the console. Although using the PS4 controller with the PS3 is possible, it is to note that there is no way to pair a PS3 or PS2 controller with the PS4 console. i.e., you require controllers made specifically for the PS4. You can also connect your PS4 to other devices like iPhone, Android, Mac, and PC.
While you can connect four controllers, the process is a bit different from one controller to the other. The section covers the procedure to pair the PS4 controller in two ways:
- With USB
- Wired PS4
- Wireless PS4
- Without USB
How to Pair your PS4 Controller with a USB Cable
Whether you own a wired PS4 or wireless PS4, the procedure to pair the PS4 controller is simple and easy.
How to Pair Wired PS4 Controllers
1. Turn on the PS4 console by pressing the power button.
2. Plug in the small end of the USB cable into the port available at the console’s top.
3. Then, connect the other end of the cable to the USB port on the console’s front side.
3. Press the PS button on your controller for about three seconds.
4. Your wired PS4 Controller will be connected to the console.
How to Pair Wireless PS4 Controllers
1. Turn on your PS4 console by pressing the power button.
2. Plug in the micro connector of your USB Cable to the PlayStation 4 controller. The mini USB port will be at the back of the PS4 controller.
3. Plug the other end of the USB cable into the console.
4. Press the PS button on your controller for about three seconds.
5. Your PS4 controllers will be connected. If needed, unplug the cable and start playing the games wirelessly.
Note: Follow the same steps to connect more wireless controllers and make sure to use the same USB cable. With this, the console will display the new users on the dashboard.
How to Pair PS4 Controllers without USB Cable
It is possible to connect two or more controllers to the PS4 gaming console wirelessly. So, whether you don’t have the USB cable or don’t want to use it, you will find the steps below useful.
1. On your PS4 dashboard, go to Settings.
2. Select Devices.
3. When the device option expands, select Bluetooth Device.
4. On the PS4 controller, press the Share button and the PS button simultaneously for about five seconds.
5. The PS4 controller will appear on the Bluetooth Device’s screen. You need to select it.
6. Finally, you shall pair the console to the PlayStation 4 Controller.
How to Connect PS4 Controller to PC
1. Hold on to the controller’s share and PS button until it flashes.
2. Push the dongle button until it starts flashing, or add your controller to your PC’s Bluetooth.
3. The paring will happen automatically.
How to Pair PS4 Controller Via iPhone or Android
1. Press the sharing button and the PS button to put the controller on the paring mode.
2. Turn on the Bluetooth on your phone.
3. Press Scan for the new device.
4. Tap on the wireless controller to pair the PS4 controller with your device.
Troubleshoot PS4 Controller Not Connecting Issue
There may be times your PS4 controller will fail to pair, and in such scenarios, you shall follow the below troubleshooting tips to fix the issue.
- PS4 controller’s light will not turn on, or it will stay disabled.
- Controller out of charge or the damage in the internal battery.
- The vibration feature has been disabled.
Connect the PS4 Controller via Data Cable
If you are facing trouble connecting the PS4 controller wirelessly, then try to connect it with a data cable. You can also use a USB cable to connect the PS4 controller. Connect your console and controller using the working cable and restart your console. After that, your console will automatically recognize your device.
Restart your PS4 Completely
This can happen because of the corruption issues that disconnect your PS4 console and your controller.
1. Press the Power button on your PS4 console for a few seconds, until you hear two beep sounds, and then release the button.
2. Unplug the power cable and the controller.
3. Leave your PS4 idle for 2-3 minutes.
4. Plug back the power cable and the controller to the console.
5. Finally, turn on your PS4.
Reset your PS4 Controller
Resetting is another effective way to bring your PS4 controller back into action. You can do this step if your PS4 controller won’t connect with the console.
1. First, turn off your PlayStation 4.
2. The reset button is at the back of your controller. Press and hold the Reset button for some seconds and release it. If you can’t reach that reset button, you can use the things like unfolded paper clips or small accessories to push that button.
3. Connect your controller to the PS4 console and turn on your PS4 controller. You shall update the PS4 Controller whenever the new update arrives.
So, that’s all about how to pair PlayStation 4 controller. While the PlayStation 4 focuses only on gaming, pairing up the device opens up lots of possibilities. It is common to get issues like the PS4 controller won’t connect to PS4. It can be fixed with general troubleshooting ideas.
Try to restart your controller completely. This step will solve this issue.
The issue may happen because either the battery is dying or the controller failed to connect with the PlayStation console.
The console might be frozen, and you need to troubleshoot it.
It can be done with or without the USB cable. For a detailed procedure, you shall check out the below guide.