Apple TV is a streaming media service that allows streaming your favorite movies and shows. A screenshot is a feature that is very useful and available on all modern devices. Taking screenshots is usually on smartphones and PC. But, taking a screenshot on streaming devices like Roku TV and Apple TV is a new thing. You can’t take screenshots on Apple TV by using the remote, but you can take a screenshot on Apple TV by using your Mac.
How to Take Screenshots on Apple TV Using Mac
Make sure that your Mac PC is updated to macOS High Sierra (macOS 10 and above). To take a screenshot on Apple TV, you should have the 4th Gen Apple or later models with tvOS 11 or above.
How to Take A Screenshot on Apple TV using Xcode
(1) Connect both the Mac and Apple TV to the same WiFi network.
(2) Then, connect the Apple TV to your Mac by using the type C to type A cable.
(3) Open the Xcode app on your Mac. If you don’t have the app, install it from the Mac App Store.
(4) Select the Window option, which is available on the top menu.
(5) Click on the Device option in it.
(6) Now, it will list the connected devices. Click on the Apple TV device on the left side.
(7) Next to View Device Logs, click the Take Screenshot button.
(8) Your Mac PC will take a screenshot and it will be saved on your PC.
How to Take A Screenshot on Apple TV Using QuickTime Player
(2) Select the File option and tap the New Movie Record option.
(3) Hover the mouse over the Movie Recording window to get the Red Recording button.
(4) Click the drop-down button and choose Apple TV.
(5) A passcode will appear on your Apple TV to connect with your Mac. Enter the passcode in your Mac to complete the pairing.
(6) To take a screenshot, press the Shift + Command + 4 keys simultaneously on your Mac.
(7) To record a video on the Apple TV, select the Recorder button to record the video.
Limitations in Taking Screenshots on Apple TV
If you try to take screenshots of video content from streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu on Apple TV, you will get a black image. This is due to the restrictions imposed by the streaming apps. Similarly, you can’t screen record a live TV match or a movie from live TV streaming apps like YouTube TV and Sling TV on Apple TV.
The captured screenshot will be saved on your Mac PC. You can view all the screenshots by using the Photos app.
Due to the DRM protection, you can’t take screenshots on Apple TV directly.