HBO Max is a video-on-demand streaming service to stream a wide variety of HBO content. It has thousands of hours of content ranging from movies to series and Max Originals. With HBO Max, you will be able to discover new favorites, handpicked content, etc. In addition to this, it will give you a personalized streaming experience with five viewer profile. Besides streaming, it supports downloading top titles for offline access. It has a kid’s friendly interface and thus brings their favorite contents. It is a subscription-based service that offers a 7-day free trial. After which you should get it at $14.99. In this section, you will get to know more in detail about HBO Max on Roku.
Is HBO Max on Roku Available?
Until yesterday, HBO Max is not available on the Roku Channel Store. WarnerMedia and Roku finally agreed to the deal, and the app will be launched in the Channel Store on 17th December 2020 as cited in the Roku Blog. From tomorrow onwards, you can directly install the HBO Max app on your Roku device.
How to Install HBO Max on Roku
(1) On your Roku, go to the Streaming Channels section.
(2) The Roku Channel Store will appear.
(3) Navigate to the Search Channels option.
(4) The on-screen keyboard will appear. Type HBO Max and search.
(5) Select the HBO Max app and tap the Add Channel button on the next screen.
(6) The app will be downloaded and installed.
(7) Open the HBO Max by tapping the Go to Channel button.
(8) Sign in with your HBO account and start watching all the HBO originals on your Roku.
If you already installed the HBO app on your Roku, the app will be updated to HBO Max automatically.
How to Update HBO on Roku
In Roku, you don’t have to update the apps manually. As the Roku Channel Store is integrated within the device, whenever a new update is available, it will be automatically installed. If you want to manually update any specific app, you have to update the Roku firmware. There are no steps to updates apps individually on the Roku device.
Go to Settings –> System –> System Update –> Check Now. This will update your Roku to the latest firmware with updated apps. You can also use our detailed guide on how to update Roku firmware.
Alternate Ways to Watch HBO Max on Roku?
Method 1: Using Live TV Platforms
If you already have a digital subscription to the following providers, then you can stream HBO Max on your RokuOS.
- YouTube TV
- Apple TV Channels
If you don’t have the above Channels on Roku, then we have got you covered with the general steps to download HBO Max compatible apps.
1. On the Roku remote, you shall press the Home button.
2. Select Streaming Channels from the left sidebar.
3. Highlight to choose the Search Channels option.
4. Key in the app name using the navigation button by selecting the on-screen keys. For instance, YouTube TV.
5. Press the OK button on the remote to know more about the channel.
6. Select Add Channel option to download the channel on Roku TV.
7. When prompted, provide the Roku account PIN.
8. You shall proceed to the payment page to complete the purchase.
Method 2: Using HDMI Cable
If you are accessing HBO Max on your phone, tablet, or PC, you shall stream it on the Roku screen with the help of an HDMI cable.
1. Connect your Roku TV to the phone or PC using the HDMI cable.
2. Just launch HBO Max on the phone or PC.
3. The same will start playing on your Roku TV.
Note: If audio and video from your device aren’t playing on TV, then you disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. In the case of an adapter, you shall check if it is connected securely. When the problem persists, you shall connect the HDMI cable to one another HDMI port.
HBO Max is a standalone streaming service to stream HBO series, documentaries, movies, etc. Until the official launch of the HBO Max channel for Roku, you shall access it with any of the above methods. It is a perfect option to binge-watch collections that are handpicked by humans and not robots.
By using any of the methods mentioned above, you can watch Zack Snyder’s Justice League on your Roku device. The Snyder Cut will be available on March 18, 2021. This movie will be a perfect treat for DC fans and people who are itching to see the Snyder Cut version of Justice League.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is HBO Max available for other platforms?
Yes. HBO Max is available as a dedicated app for devices including Android, Apple, Samsung TV, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
2. Do cable and satellite TV providers support HBO Max?
Yes. HBO Max is available from more than 200 cable and satellite TV providers. Based on the location, you shall get it from the respective providers to stream it on your TV.
3. What are the internet and wireless providers that support HBO Max?
You will be able to stream HBO Max on the internet or wireless providers like AT&T, Consolidated Communications, Optimum, Liberty, Verizon Fios, etc.