Firestick, a USB sized media player, is known for portability and convenience. To make Fire Stick fully functional, an internet or WiFi connection is the first and foremost thing. The device uses internet connectivity to bring you videos, movies, TV shows, music, and lots more. While most of the streaming services work with the internet, Firestick needs to be connected to home WiFi or any other WiFi network. Whether you haven’t connected your Firestick to WiFi during the setup process or about to connect to new WiFi, you need to learn the steps to connect Firestick to WiFi.
Connect Firestick to WiFi
There are two ways to connect your Fire TV to the home WiFi or internet. Follow the guidelines given below respectively to connect Firestick to WiFi
- With Fire TV Remote
- Without Firestick remote
Irrespective of the method you follow to connect the Fire device to WiFi, you should follow the setup process.
(1) Connect Firestick into the HDMI port available at the back of your smart TV.
(2) Power the Firestick with the micro USB power cord and the other end to the power adapter that is plugged into the power source.
(3) Now, turn on your TV and select the input source as that of the port number.
How to Connect Firestick to WiFi: Using Remote
(1) When done with the above steps, you shall press the Home button on your Firestick remote.
(2) Select the Settings option by navigating to the rightmost corner on the Firestick home screen.
(3) Use the navigation keys on the Fire TV remote to highlight the Network amongst other settings options. Press the Select button to open it.
(4) Under the Network, you will find the available WiFi connections. Highlight a network and click the Select button on the remote.
(5) If the chosen WiFi is password-protected, you need to input the password of the WiFi network. If not, your Firestick will connect to the network without the password.
(6) Click Connect button on the keyboard and let allow Firestick to connect to WiFi.
(7) If the connection is done, then you will find the label Connected under the network name.
How to Connect Firestick to WiFi: Without Remote
Connecting Fire Stick to WiFi is possible even if you don’t have access to your Fire TV remote. This method primarily uses two smartphones, one with an Amazon Fire TV app and another one for a hotspot connection. For this method, you must complete the initial setup process completely using the remote. In this, you are going to fool your Firestick by creating a hotspot with the same home WiFi settings.
(1) You need to start off with the pre-requisites as mentioned above.
(2) Then, set up one of your smartphones as a wireless hotspot.
(3) You need to turn on the hotspot connection with the SSID and the password of your previous home WiFi so that your Firestick will recognize the WiFi network and will connect automatically.
(5) Connect the second smartphone to the hotspot of the first device.
(6) With this, the Amazon Fire TV app automatically paired with the Firestick.
(7) Now, you can control the Firestick with your smartphone.
Amazon Fire Stick Not Connecting to WiFi
If you have any issues in connecting your Firestick to WiFi, follow the below solutions.
- Use only the cables and adapters that come with the box.
- Enter the correct WiFi credentials.
- Make sure that the WiFi signal is not interrupted.
- Place your Firestick in an open area so that the device will receive a WiFi connection without any disturbance.
- Restart your Firestick and try again.
- Restart your WiFi modem.
Either of the methods will let you connect your Firestick to a WiFi network. However, the first method seems to be the most reliable and convenient option. The second method is recommended only, if you lost your Fire TV remote or any emergency situation. In case if you have any questions, leave a comment below.
Related: How to Clear Cache on Firestick.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I connect Fire Stick to WiFi without a remote?
Yes, you can. But you need two smartphones at your disposal.
2. How to connect Firestick to WiFi with a computer?
As of now, you can’t use your computer to connect Firestick to WiFi.
3. Does Amazon Fire Stick have its own WiFi?
To get the internet connection, you need to connect your Firestick to WiFi or via LAN. The WiFi module is present in the device.