All smart devices need constant attention. Devices like smartphones and PCs are pretty user-friendly and are known to most of us. But the new devices like streaming devices, smart TV needs some learning curve. The working of streaming devices like Amazon Firestick is the same as smartphones. You need to update Firestick and update the installed apps frequently.
By updating your Firestick, you will get access to new features and will remove minor bugs in the previous versions. All the Firestick and Fire TV offers a manual method to update the device to the latest software. But it can be done automatically. The new update will be downloaded in the background and will be installed when you restart or turn off and on the device. If you want to do it manually, you can do it with ease.
Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV Latest Software Versions
Before getting into the update steps, let’s know the latest software version available for each of the Fire Stick and Fire TV devices.
|Fire TV Stick Basic Edition||Fire OS 184.108.40.206|
|Fire TV Stick (1st Gen)||Fire OS 220.127.116.11|
|Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote||Fire OS 18.104.22.168|
|Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote||Fire OS 22.214.171.124|
|Fire TV (1st Gen)||Fire OS 126.96.36.199|
|Fire TV (2nd Gen)||Fire OS 188.8.131.52|
|Fire TV (3rd Gen)||Fire OS 184.108.40.206|
|Fire TV Stick 4K||Fire OS 220.127.116.11|
|Fire TV Recast||Fire OS 18.104.22.168|
|Fire TV Cube (1st Gen)||Fire OS 22.214.171.124|
|Fire TV Cube (2nd Gen)||Fire OS 126.96.36.199|
How to Update Amazon Firestick Firmware to the Latest Version?
(1) On your Firestick, go to the Settings option.
(2) Choose My Fire TV option on the Settings menu.
(3) Select the About option.
(4) Go to the Check for Updates option. Now, on the right, you will see the current software version.
(5) If the current software version is the latest version available for your device, there is no need to update the device.
(6) If you see Install System Update instead of Check for Updates option, this means that your Firestick is in the older version and needs to be updated. Click the Install System Update button.
(7) Now, the update process will begin. Don’t turn off your Firestick when the update is going on.
(8) When the new update is finished, the device will restart to a new software version.
Update your Amazon Firestick or Fire TV to its latest version either manually or automatically. When a new update is released, update them as soon as you can to remove the minor bugs and errors. If you face any difficulties while updating the Fire TV, tell us in the comments section.
Related: How to Reset Firestick to Factory Settings?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do Amazon Fire Sticks need to be updated?
Yes, you need to update your Fire Stick or Fire TV manually whenever a new update is released.
2. How do I know if my fire stick needs updating?
Go to the Check for Updates. If a new update is available, it will install the new software version.
3. What is the latest version of Firestick?
It depends on the model of your Firestick. See the table mentioned in this article to get the latest version for different Fire TV and Firestick models.