Not all the channels are available on Roku. To stream some of your favorite content, you need to cast the videos from the particular application on your Android or iOS smartphones. You can screen mirror your smartphone to Roku-connected TV. Recently, Roku devices started providing support to the AirPlay feature in order to screen mirror your iPhone and iPad. Roku added this feature lately, and few Roku models provide extensive support to the AirPlay and Apple Homekit. Let’s see how to set up and use AirPlay on Roku.
AirPlay on Roku
The following Roku models are compatible with the AirPlay features. If you don’t know which Roku model you are using, you can check it by going to Settings > System > About. The following models will support the AirPlay feature.
- Roku TV – Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx.
- Roku Ultra – 4640, 4660, 4662, 4661, 4670, 4800
- Streambar 9102
- Soundbar 9100, 9101
- Roku Premiere 4630, 4620, 3920.
- Roku Streaming Stick + 3811, 3810.
AirPlay is compatible with the Roku devices that run on Roku OS 9.0 and higher. The following Apple devices are compatible with AirPlay on Roku.
- iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch with iOS 12.3 or later
- Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later
Enable AirPlay on Roku
AirPlay lets you stream, control, and share content from the iOS or macOS devices to the Roku-connected TV.
(1) Connect your Roku device to your TV and turn on the device.
(2) On your Roku remote, press the home button.
(3) Select the Settings option from the home screen.
(4) Click on the Apple AirPlay and Home kit option.
(5) Now, again click on the AirPlay option to turn it on.
How to use AirPlay
After enabling AirPlay on Roku, follow the below steps to screen mirror your iPhone or iPad, or Mac.
AirPlay from iPhone or iPad
1). Connect your iPad or iPhone to the same Wi-Fi network as that of your Roku.
2). Then play any of the videos or music, or view photos, or open any streaming app and play contents on your iOS device.
3). Now, tap the AirPlay icon on the screen.
Or swipe down from the top of the screen or swipe up from the bottom of the screen to pull out the control centre. Then, tap the Screen Mirroring option.
4). Select the Roku device from the list of available devices.
5). Enter the security PIN if prompted.
6). The content you are streaming will be cast on the Roku-connected TV screen.
AirPlay from Mac
1). Connect your Mac and Roku device to the same Wi-Fi network.
2). Click on the AirPlay icon from the top menu bar.
3). Select your respective Roku device from the list of available devices.
4). Your Mac screen will be mirrored to the Roku-connected TV.
5). Start streaming your favorite content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is My Roku device is not appearing on the AirPlay Menu?
- Make sure that the Roku and iOS devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Ensure that your Roku and iOS devices are both compatible with AirPlay 2.
How to Screen Mirror Android on Roku?
Roku even supports Android screen mirroring. You can enable screen mirroring on Roku and cast your Android phone to the Roku-connected TV. You can learn more about screen mirroring to Roku here.