- Launch the Google Home app > Select your Chromecast > Select Settings > Choose your WiFi > Tap Forget Network > Tap Set up 1 device > Click Next > Verify the code > Click Agree > Tap Yes, I’m in option > Choose your WiFi > Tap on Enter Manually > Enter Password to connect and proceed the following to Setup Chromecast.
Without an internet connection, you can’t use Chromecast for casting and streaming purposes. An active internet connection is always needed for Chromecast. When you set up the Chromecast for the first time, you will connect the device to a WiFi network. Chromecast will think that the WiFi network is your Home network and will connect automatically to the WiFi network. When you change your WiFi network password or username, you need to connect your Chromecast to the new WiFi network manually.
Reasons to Change WiFi Network
As Chromecast is a portable device, there may be situations in that you need to connect the device to a different WiFi network like
- In case your current WiFi is not in use.
- You can switch to new WiFi if the current router or WiFi is not working.
- If you are traveling, you can set a mobile hotspot as your New WiFi.
- If you forgot your existing password or username.
How to Connect Chromecast to a New WiFi
Using the below steps, switch to a New WiFi from your Android or iOS device using the Google Home app.
Forget Current Network
First, your Chromecast has to forget the current network to set up new WiFi.
(1) To make changes in the Chromecast, you need to use the Google Home app. If you don’t have the app, install the app from the Play Store and App Store.
(2) Connect your smartphone (Android or iOS) to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast Home network.
(3) Open the Google Home app
(4) Tap on the Chromecast device under the Connected Devices tab.
(5) Click the Settings icon on the top of the screen.
(6) Now, a list of customizable options will appear. Choose the WiFi option.
(7) A pop-up will appear. Choose the Forget network option.
Your device will forget your current WiFi Network.
How to Set Up Chromecast with New WiFi
Choosing Forget network will reset the Chromecast. Then, you need to set up the Chromecast again.
(1) Now, the app will show the Set up 1 device option.
(2) Tap on the Set up 1 device button.
(3) Now, the app will look for that one device.
(4) When your Chromecast is detected, select it and tap on the Next button.
(5) Then, the app will connect to the Chromecast device. Wait until it’s done.
(6) When connected, you will get the following screen.
(7) Now, a four-digit code will appear on both your smartphone and Chromecast-connected TV. If both codes are the same, click the Yes button.
(8) Then, the Additional legal terms screen will appear. Click the I agree on the button to proceed further.
(9) The next screen is Help improve Chromecast screen will appear. You can choose No thanks, or Yes, I’m in option. We suggest you choose the Yes, I’m in option.
(10) Now, all the nearby active WiFi networks will appear. Choose your WiFi network and click Next.
(11) On the next screen, tap the Enter Manually button and enter the WiFi password.
(12) You will get the Connecting to WiFi screen.
(13) When it is connected, you will get the below screen.
(14) Now, choose where the Chromecast is located and choose Next.
(15) If you want to link your Chromecast to your Gmail ID, click Next. If you don’t want to, click the Not Now button.
(16) Then, you will get the Google Assistant screen. Click the Next button.
(17) Then, Link radio services, Link video services, and Link Live TV services will appear. Choose the Not now or Next button based on your preferences.
(18) And, when it is done, you will get the All done! screen. Tap on the Continue button.
(19) Now, the Setup Complete screen will appear. Click the Continue button and start casting videos from your smartphone.
Change Chromecast WiFi from Computer
If you want to change the Chromecast WiFi from a computer, it needs an Android emulator. Without the Google Home app, you can’t make any changes to the Chromecast. Google Home is not available for PCs. So, you must use Android emulators like BlueStacks or Nox on your PC. Using the emulator, you can install the Google Home app and then change the Chromecast WiFi.
Changing the WiFi network and connecting the Chromecast to a new WiFi network requires all the setup steps. That’s a long process. To avoid this, connect the Chromecast to a WiFi network in constant use. So you don’t need to change the WiFi network.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t connect to a new WiFi network, try resetting your Chromecast. To reset, press the only button on the Chromecast for 25 secs.
The steps mentioned above apply to all types of Chromecast.
You can use the guest mode option to use Chromecast without WiFi.
Most connection failure issues on Chromecast are common with poor internet connection. You can change to a new WiFi or check with the internet provider to fix the issue.