- Using Chrome browser: Launch Chrome > Menu > Cast > Cast tab/ desktop/ file > Chromecast Device.
- Cast Streaming Platforms: Launch any Chromecast compatible app > Sign In > Select any content > Cast > Chromecast device.
Google Chromecast has been designed to cast every media file from smartphone apps and websites. It is the smartest streaming device available at an affordable price. Since the evolution of Chromecast, a lot of streaming platforms have incorporated with cast option. Besides the cast-ready apps, Chromecast supports casting from a PC as well. You can cast almost anything from Mac into your smart TV by using Chromecast.
Chromecast from Mac PC / Macbook
Things you Require:
- Chromecast device
- TV with HDMI port
- The latest version of macOS
- Active internet connection
- The latest version of Chrome browser
How to Chromecast from Mac using Chrome Browser
The following steps will work only if you have already set up Chromecast using the Google Home app on Android or iOS.
1. Start by connecting your Chromecast to the HDMI port of the TV.
2. Power it on and connect it to the home WiFi network.
3. On your Mac PC, open the Chrome web browser.
4. Hover to the top right section of the screen to click on the More icon labeled Customize and control Google Chrome.
5. From the list menu, you must choose the Cast option.
- Optionally, you shall right-click anywhere on the Chrome browser to select the Cast option.
- You can also click on the View menu to choose the Cast option.
6. When the Cast to dialog box appears, choose the Chromecast TV name.
7. Click the drop-down icon to select between the Cast tab, Cast desktop, and Cast file.
- Cast tab – This will cast only the current tab of the Chrome browser
- Cast desktop – The entire Mac screen will be screencast to Chromecast TV
- Under Stream, a video or audio file, Cast file – This will let you stream a video or audio file
8. When multiple screens are active, you must choose which screen you want to cast.
9. If you have decided to end the casting, then click on STOP on the Cast to tab.
With the above procedure, you can cast contents from your Macbook or Mac PC to Chromecast connected smart TV.
How to Chromecast from Mac: Streaming Platforms
Streaming platforms like Netflix and YouTube have a built-in Cast icon (AirPlay icon) to cast video content. With a single tap, you can Chromecast the platforms to TV.
1. Launch the app and sign in with your account credentials.
2. Select any content to stream.
3. Click on the Cast icon and choose your Chromecast device.
4. The contents will be cast to your TV.
But, this method applies only to Chromecast-compatible platforms. You can’t do the same on IMDb TV, as the website doesn’t have built-in Chromecast support.
Troubleshoot Chromecast Mac Not Working Issues
Here are some fixes to resolve Chromecast Mac not responding issues.
Connectivity Issues: While connecting the Chromecast device to the TV, make sure you are using the HDMI cable that came along with the device. Also, check whether your Chromecast device gets enough power supply.
Buffering Issues: Use a better and fast WiFi to perform casting without any buffer. Also, place the Mac device, Chromecast, and WiFi router close enough to stay connected and stream without hassle. Restarting Chromecast will also help to fix the buffering issues.
Audio Issues: Check the sound settings on your Mac device and try adjusting the volume and see if there is any difference.
Lack of Update: Ensure you are using the latest version of the Chrome browser and the latest firmware on Chromecast. Also, update your Mac device to the latest version.
If any of the above fixes don’t help, try switching to another casting device or resetting your Chromecast.
Frequently Asked Questions
Using the Cast Desktop option on Chrome browser, you can Chromecast Mac’s desktop to the TV.
No. Even to Chromecast Safari browser on Mac, you must use the Chrome browser.