Nintendo Switch is a dedicated gaming console. Unlike other gaming consoles like PlayStation and Xbox, the availability of non-gaming or streaming apps is very minimal in Nintendo Switch. In the Nintendo eShop, only a few non-gaming apps are available. But on November 8, 2018, the YouTube app was released for Nintendo Switch consoles. Till now, only Hulu and YouTube are the only streaming apps available in Nintendo eShop.
As the device is dedicated to gamers, there are not many streaming apps available for the console. In addition to that, some streaming websites are blocked. You can’t access the streaming platforms through their websites too.
Limitation of YouTube on Nintendo Switch
The full fetched YouTube app is yet to be released for the Switch consoles. There are certain limitations to the existing app.
- You can’t download any YouTube videos to view them offline even though you have a YouTube Premium subscription.
- To rotate the 360-degree video, you need to use the Joy-Con stick. Swiping control is not enabled for 360-degree videos.
Procedure to Install YouTube on Nintendo Switch
(1) Tap on the Nintendo eShop icon on the screen.
(2) Click on the Search bar on the top left of the screen.
(3) The on-screen keyboard will appear. Search for YouTube.
(4) Select the YouTube app from the search results.
(5) Click the Free Download button on the right side of the screen. The YouTube app is available for free.
(6) Click the Close button on the next screen.
(7) Now, you will see the download progress.
(8) When the app is downloaded, you will get a pop-up on the top left of the screen.
(9) After that, open the YouTube app and sign in with your Google account. Watch your favorite videos on YouTube.
Related: How to Stream Youtube TV on Xbox One
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you play YouTube videos with a Switch?
Yes, you can. install the YouTube app on your Switch and play YouTube videos.
2. Is YouTube free on Switch?
Yes, the YouTube app is available for free on the Nintendo eShop.
3. Can the Switch play Netflix?
No, the Netflix app is yet to be released for Nintendo consoles.
Install the YouTube app on your Nintendo Switch consoles and watch your favorite videos for free. If you are exhausted with your gaming, go to YouTube, and watch videos as a refreshment or learn gaming tips from tutorials. If you have any difficulties in the above steps, tell us in the comments section.