The Apple TV streaming device has come a long way over the years. Apple TV remote controller is unique with a simple design that works with Bluetooth and WiFi. In addition, it comes with an in-built microphone for sending voice instructions to the Apple TV devices. However, it is very common for Apple TV users to experience issues with their remotes. It might fail to work for numerous reasons. It happens due to weak batteries, outdated OS, damage to remote buttons, or obstructions between the TV and remote. So, if your Apple TV remote is not working, here are the simple troubleshooting solution that helps to get rid of the issue quickly.
How to Fix Apple TV Remote Not Working
Here are the quick fixes that can help in fixing the error problem.
#1: Reset the Remote
Resetting the Apple TV remote will help in fixing the error problem. To reset it, press and hold the Menu and Volume Up button. The Siri Apple TV remote will get reset, and you need to put it back in the pairing mode. Now, check if the remote works fine. If not, move to the next solution.
Note: You can even reset the remote when the touchpad isn’t working or when the TV doesn’t respond to the remote.
#2: Power Cycle Apple TV
At times, the problem might be in Apple TV devices too. So, performing a power cycle will fix the error in the device. Simply unplug the Apple TV from the power source and wait for 10 seconds. Then, plug the cable back into the power source and turn on the device to check if the remote works well.
#3: Restart Apple TV
It is one of the quick ways to resolve a problem. On your Apple TV 4k remote, press and hold the Menu and Rewind button simultaneously for 5 seconds until the Apple TV flashes the lights. It will restart the Apple TV. Another way is, go to Settings >> System >> General >> Restart.
#4: Check Apple TV Remote Batteries
Poor or weak batteries are the main reason for the remote not working. So, charge the Apple TV remote controller. If the battery on the Apple TV remote is not good, then replace the Apple TV batteries, and this will help in solving the problem.
#5: Re-Pair your Remote Again
For most users, this method will work out. Just unpair the remote and re-pair it again. Follow the below steps to get it done.
- On your Apple TV remote, press and hold the Menu and Left button until you see the icon on your TV screen.
- When the icon appears, it means that you’re remote gets unpair.
- Now, press and hold the Menu & Right button on your remote.
- It will pair the Apple TV Remote again to your TV. Now, see if the remote works.
#6: Uncheck the Disable Remote Control Infrared Remote
When your Apple TV remote is not working properly, try this method.
- On your MAC, go to Apple and click on the System Preference option.
- Select Security & Privacy followed that select on Click the lock to make changes option.
- Now, enter your Username and Password in the required field.
- Then, click on the Advanced button and uncheck the box next to Disable remote control infrared remote option.
- Finally, click the Ok button to save the changes. This will disable the remote control infrared remote option.
#7: Use Remote App
When all troubleshooting method fails, then you can try this quick fix. You can use your iPhone/iPad as a remote by installing the Remote app. After downloading the app on your iOS device from the App Store, follow the below guidelines to connect.
- To the same WiFi network, connect your Apple TV and iOS device.
- On your Apple TV, go to the Settings menu.
- Select the General tab and click on the Remotes option.
- Next, select the Remote app and enter the Apple ID and Password.
- Now, open the remote app on your iOS device and navigate to the Settings option.
- Choose your Apple TV device name to get pair.
- Once done, you can now control the Apple TV with your iOS device.
Try cleaning the remote with isopropyl alcohol and cotton, which will remove all the dust that is stuck at the edge of the remote buttons. When none of the solutions works out, you can contact Apple TV Customer Service or Support. Convey the problem to the assistant, and they will help you further to fix the problem. Get an Apple TV replacement remote controller if it fails to work due to physical damage.
It is recommended to charge the remote for 2 1/2 hours to get fully charged.
Yes. You can use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as a remote to control the Apple TV.
Yes. You can use the iPhone charger to charge the Apple TV remote.
Check if you have connected the charging cable properly and the cable isn’t damaged.
Yes. You shall force close the app and launch it again.
It may be because the remote isn’t controlling the Apple TV or due to the obstructions between the remote and the TV.
Yes. Follow the above fixes to get the issue resolved.