FaceTime is the go-to video calling app for all Apple device users. The video calling app is pre-installed with all the iPhones iPads. With FaceTime, you can connect up to 32 people in a single call. Though FaceTime is developed by Apple, it is not available for Apple TV devices. You can use the app only on your iPhone, iPad, and Macbook. If you want to use the FaceTime app on your Apple TV, you need to screen mirror the app from your iPhone or iPad.
Before getting into the screen mirroring procedure, make sure that your iPhone or iPad is connected to the same WiFi network as your Apple TV. Screen mirroring on Apple devices won’t work with different WiFi networks.
How to Screen Mirror FaceTime on Apple TV?
(1) Go to the Control Center on your iPhone or iPad.
(2) Click the Screen Mirroring icon.
(3) Now, the iOS device will search for nearby Apple TV.
(4) When it is detected, tap on your Apple TV.
(5) Then, open the FaceTime app and make a call to your friend.
(6) It will appear on your Apple TV.
Though you are screen mirroring the FaceTime app, you need to use your iOS mic and speaker for communication. Audio information can’t be transmitted to Apple TV via Screen Mirroring.
You can also screen mirror the FaceTime app to your Apple TV from Macbook. Apple’s Screen Mirroring feature is available on Mac too.
(1) Click the AirPlay icon on the top of the Mac screen. If the AirPlay icon is not available, you need to enable it manually.
(2) Choose your Apple TV.
(3) For verification, you need to enter the activation code on your Mac. Enter the activation code that appears on your Apple TV.
(4) Then, open the FaceTime app. Connect to a call, and it will appear on your Apple TV.
(5) If the video resolution is not compatible with Apple TV, click the Mirror Apple TV option.
(6) If you want to disconnect the mirroring, click the Turn AirPlay off button.
If the AirPlay icon is not available on the Mac screen, click the Apple icon on the menu bar. Go to System Preferences –> Displays –> Tick the “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.”
Use any one of the above-mentioned methods to use FaceTime on Apple TV. The steps included here will be applicable to all generations of Apple TV. Until the FaceTime app available for Apple TV, you have to screen mirror the app from your iOS device or Macbook. If you have any doubts, let us know in the comments below.
Related: How to Chromecast Facetime Video Calls?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you screen share on iPhone FaceTime?
You can use the Screen Mirroring feature on your iPhone to screen share the FaceTime calls.
2. Can I use a webcam with Apple TV?
No, you can’t connect a third-party webcam to your Apple TV.