Smart TVs are just like smartphones. They allow users to install apps and games in the same way as smartphones. Generally, Smart TVs will come with two OS, the Google-made Android TV OS, and the OS of its own. LG TV will have its own OS and Vizio TV has Android TV OS. Sony Smart TV runs on Android TV OS. So, adding apps on Sony Smart TV is the same as installing apps on Android smartphones. You can use the Google Play Store to add apps on Sony Smart TV.
Methods to Add Apps on Sony Smart TV
Since Sony Smart TV has an Android OS, there are two ways to add apps.
- From Google Play Store
- From Websites
How to Add Apps on Sony Smart TV using Google Play Store?
(1) Open the Google Play Store on your Sony Smart TV.
(2) If you are opening the Play Store for the first time, it will ask for you to accept the terms of Service. Choose Accept.
(3) Now, you will get the Google Play Store. The icons and apps are similar to Android smartphones but the UI will be tailored for smart TVs.
(4) Go to the Search icon on the top left corner of the screen.
(5) Using the on-screen keyboard, type the name of the app that you want to add to your Sony Smart TV. If the app you want is available on the Home, you can choose the app directly.
(6) Select the app from the searched results.
(7) On the next screen, click the Install button.
(8) The app will begin to install, wait for the installation to complete.
(9) Now, click the Open icon to launch the app.
How to Add Apps on Sony Smart TV from the website?
Some apps won’t be available on the Play Store. For those apps, you need to install the app directly from the website.
(1) Launch the web browser on your Sony Smart TV.
(2) Type the name of the app that you want to install.
(3) On the searched results, choose the website and download the apk file.
(4) After that, install the apk file on your smart TV.
Note: Some apps downloaded from the website may not be compatible with the Sony TV.
Also know How to Update Apps on Sony Smart TV
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where is the app store on Sony smart TV?
You can use the Google Play Store to install apps. The Play Store will be listed under the Apps section.
2. How do I install 3rd party apps on my Sony TV?
To install third-party apps, apks are the only way. You can download the apk from the website or copy-paste the apk file using a USB drive.
3. How do I update apps on my Sony Smart TV?
Navigate to the app that you want to update on the Play Store. If a new update is available, the Update button will be there. Click that button. You can also turn on Auto-Update apps from the Settings menu.