LG is one of the best smart TV manufacturers in the world. Like all the smart TVs, LG Smart TV also needs to be updated every once in a while. As LG has different types of smart TV, there are different ways to update LG Smart TVs. Just like smartphones, smart TV manufacturers release new versions for their TVs. Updating your LG Smart TV will give you access to new features, remove minor fixes and bugs, support for more apps, etc. In addition, the LG TV software update may improve the device performance and tighten the code to improve the device security.
How to Update LG Smart TV
Here are the 4 different ways to update LG Smart TV:
- From Internet
- Using WebOS
- Using Netcast
- From USB Drive
- On 2011 TV models
How to Update LG Smart TV Via Web
If your LG TV has a stable internet connection, you shall update the firmware from the web.
How to Update WebOS on LG Smart TV Via Internet
This method is applicable for TV models from 2014 to 2016.
(1) On your TV remote, click the Home button to get the Home screen.
(2) Click the Settings icon on the top right of the screen.
(3) Choose the All Settings option.
(4) On the Settings page, click the General option and choose About This TV.
- Those using WebOS 22, WebOS 5.0, and WebOS 6.0, should select Support.
(5) Select the Allow Automatic Updates and click on the Check For Updates button.
(6) If a new update is available, it will start to update.
(7) When the update is completed, the TV will restart. Then, you can use your TV as usual.
That’s how to upgrade WebOS on LG TV. Upon enabling automatic updates, the LG TV will update the firmware when the latest version is made available. So, you need not update WebOS on LG TV manually.
How to Update LG Smart TV using Netcast
This method is for 2012-2015 smart TV models.
(1) Click the Settings icon on the home screen.
(2) On the Settings screen, click the Others option and choose the Software Update option.
(3) Turn on the Software Update feature and click the Check Update Version button. You can even check in the Automatic Update Mode to update LG TV using NetCast.
(4) When you receive an information pop-up, select OK.
(5) If a new update is available, the update process will begin.
(6) When the update is completed, restart your TV.
How to Update LG Smart TV from the USB Drive
This method is applicable to most of the LG Smart TV models. For this method, you need a USB drive (a minimum of 8 GB free storage) and a PC.
(1) Open any web browser on your PC and go to the LG Support Page.
(2) Enter your TV model number and choose your LG Smart TV.
(3) On the next screen, scroll down to the Software & Drivers section and download the new software.
(4) Extract the downloaded software and move the extracted files to the USB drive.
(5) Now, switch off your TV and insert the USB drive on your TV.
(6) Turn on the TV, it will detect the USB drive. Follow the on-screen process to update the TV to its new OS.
(7) When the update is completed, remove the USB drive, and restart your TV.
How to Update LG TV on the 2011 TV Model
This method is applicable to TV models before 2011.
(1) On the Home screen, click the Setup option.
(2) On the Setup page, click the Support option.
(3) Go to the Software Update option and click the Check Update Version button.
(4) It will be updated to a new version if a new software version is found.
How to Update Apps on LG Smart TV
With the LG TV firmware update, the apps on the LG TV will update automatically. For this to work, the user should launch the LG Content Store. However, when the update does not take place, then manually updating apps on LG TV is recommended. Learn How to Update Apps on LG Smart TV from the below steps.
(1) With LG TV turned on, press the Home button on the LG TV remote.
(2) Navigate to select the LG Content Store tile.
(3) Click on the Apps option and select the My Apps icon from the top.
(4) When you get all the apps on your TV, select the app and click on the Update button if available.
To update all the apps at once, select All and click on Update All.
These are four different ways that you can update your LG Smart TV. Choose a method based on your Smart TV model and carry out the update process. If you have any issues while updating, tell us in the comments section below. We will suggest a solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use any one of the four methods mentioned above to update the firmware on your Smart TV.
Go to Settings >> Support >> Software Update >> Update Now. With this, the browser on your LG TV will update automatically.
Check the section on how to update LG TV using webOS mentioned in this article.
As of 21/07/2022, the latest webOS available for LG Smart TV is webOS 6.0
No. You cannot upgrade or change the NetCast-based LG TV to WebOS.
It may be due to poor internet connection, or the app is no longer compatible with the LG TV.